Comments : 2 Comments »
Categories : Microsoft, Technical News, Web 2.0, Windows
Microsoft encourages its employees to blog. In fact it has a dedicated blog to each of its products at Spaces.Live.com to encourage more interaction between creators and end users. But what happens when the details of a product is leaked far ahead of schedule?
Thats excatly what happened when the details of Live Search 2.0 ahead of the next week Searchification event of unveiling its details officialy to reports. Windows Live program manager Akram Hussein in his personal blog demonstrated how the new Live Search handles searches for digital cameras, showing not just product details, but also reviews. Also a search for “Brad Pitt” shows his popularity rating. Much of the changes of the new look and feel has bee gradually appearing on the site.
The blog has ever since been pulled down and Akram Hussein has posted an apology saying that the screenshots were from a test version of the new Live and not the final verion. But some guys have managed to get the screenshots here.
Comments : 7 Comments »
Categories : Microsoft, Technical, Windows
Disappointed that your pendrive does not support Readyboost on Windows Vista? Ok… a bit of basics first for those who dont know what is Readyboost. Readyboost is a technology in Windows Vista that enables the system to speed up by plugging in a USB pen drive instead of adding a RAM module. In this way you dont have to spend much on costly RAMs. But remember that you need a pen drive with good data transfer rate or else this would only slow down Vista.
Ok time to get our hands dirty. Follow the steps and dont forget to back up the registry before starting…
1. Plug in the device.
2. Open the Readyboost tab on the device properties.
3. Select “Do not retest this device”
4. Unplug the device
5. Open regedit (start->run->regedit)
6. Expand – HKLM (Local Machine)->SOFTWARE->Microsoft->Windows NT->CurrentVersion->EMDgmt
7. Find your device.
8. Change Device Status to 2
9. Change ReadSpeedKBs to 1000
10. Change WriteSpeedKBs to 1000
11. Plug in the device.
12. Enable Readyboost!!!!
You may need to take out the device and plug it back in once more for readyboost to show up under properties. Thats all and you are done.
Comments : 96 Comments »
Categories : Technical, Windows
Even since I stated using Windows Vista
in early november 2006 (thats right, Microsoft Student Partners get their copy early) I have never faced any problem with it. It has never crashed, nor restarted. To the maximum extend, it has only freezed some programs for a few seconds to allocate memory for other critical programs. But recently a new problem popped up. Whenever I browse some folders, the “COM Surrogate Has Stopped Working” error pops up. It doesnt hinder with the perfomance or data loss, but I find it quite irritating. So does some of my friends.
The simplest and shortcut solution is as follows that worked for me:
1. Right click on Computer, and choose PropertiesRight click on Computer, and choose Properties
2. Click on Advanced System Settings, and then under Advanced, click Settings\
3. Select the “Data Execution Protection” tab, and then click “Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select”
4. Click on the Add button, and then browse to C:\Windows\System32\dllhost.exe as shown
5. Click Open, and then OK.
Your’e done!!! Now it should work fine for you in 99% of the cases.
But if the problem still persists, then this could be due to a software
installed on your computer. DivX and Nero are a common cause, but there are others that cause the problem as well.
– If you are using DivX, you should be upgraded to the very latest version 6.5+)
– If you are using Nero, you can try upgrading to the latest version (220.127.116.11+)
– If you’ve upgraded Nero and Divx and still have the problem, you can try renaming the fileC:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\DSFilter\NeVideo.ax to NeVideo.ax.bak. You may also need to rename NeVideoHD.ax to NeVideoHD.bak. Caution: Nero Showtime will not work anymore
– The older ffdshow codec pack has been known to cause some problems. The ffdshow tryouts codec pack seems to work better. Might want to try using this one: http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/